Monday, July 30, 2007

Starting with Parrots.

Well I hope this blog can be an exchange with many people about their pet birds. I intend to share my learning experiences with our Macaws. I should say from the start, I have never had a pet bird until now. I have always had the more tradtional dog and/or cats. My husband, Brian, on the other hand has had birds and even bred them for a time. I came into the picture shortly before he stopped breeding...birds that is :).


How we ended up with Macaws, Part I:


Brian had been talking about getting a bird for about a year or so, but with our work load we just didn't see how we could fit it in. Well this summer we are re-vamping our business and have some down-time. Brian started looking online for parrots. He came across a Mickaboo, a parrot rescue organization in the Bay Area. He read the story of this sweet 51 year old Military Macaw named PePe. I saw a picture of PePe and read his story, and felt we should at least help. Pepe is blind due to cataracts, but has a very good chance of recovering most of his sight with surgery.


We have pursued potentially adopting Pepe with Mickaboo. As part of the process with Mickaboo we must take a class, have an in-home visit, and visit and obtain approval from the foster parents. I think the worst part of the class was finding out I must part with my Grill/panini maker and my teflon pots and pans. I checked out the enameled cast iron the other day and the one upside is I'll have great arms well into my eighties...who knew?? Well I have more to write...we now have a Blue and Gold as well. More later...

No comments: